ECM MasterBatch Pellets™ are a revolutionary additive technology for manufacturing biodegradable plastics.
This additive technology offers companies a practical way to take tangible, measurable steps towards sustainability without interrupting or impacting their current production process whatsoever.
A major step towards greater sustainability
When combined as a 1% load with the most widely-used plastic resins, they render the resulting plastic products biodegradable. Our process enables micro-organisms in the environment to metabolize the molecular structure of plastic products into humus that is beneficial to the environment. This process utilizes several proprietary compounds that are combined into a masterbatch pellet that is easily added to plastic resins using existing technology.
The plastic products produced with ECM MasterBatch Pellets can be priced competitively with, and have the same mechanical characteristics as, their traditional non-degradable products, but will be much more sustainable and environmentally-friendly because of their preferred end-of-life.
Impact on Operations
Plastic products made with ECM BioFilms’ additives:
- Are recycleable
- Can be made with recycled resins
- Biodegrade in any biologically-active environment where other materials are biodegrading
- Biodegrade when disposed of in a biodegrading environment, either anaerobically or aerobically:
- in landfills
- in compost (backyard compost or commercial facilities)
- if buried or littered in the ground
- in agricultural and erosion-control settings
- Do not use heat, light or mechanical stress to break them down
- Do not require special handling (unlike PLA and oxodegradable products)
- Do not contain heavy metals (unlike most oxodegradable products)
ECM MasterBatch Pellets are used for extruding film and sheet (blown or cast), blow molding, injection molding and rotomolding products and parts. The addition of MasterBatch Pellets allows your product to retain its desired attributes without adversely effecting its integrity and cosmetics.